The Next Generation Library Publishing project has released a report on progress as we march towards a new modular architecture that will feed an ecosystem of library publishing platform and service provider options. Stratos works in partnership with Educopia, the California Digital Library (CDL), UNC Longleaf, LYRASIS, COAR, and a growing number of open source platform partners to offer a platform toolkit made up of open source modules and components and then help service providers assemble a variety of solutions.
Based on our research interactions with more than 150 library publishing stakeholders, we have identified the remarkably consistent needs and desires of library publishers today, including the following:
- Ways to integrate existing platforms and tools rather than building new ones
- Unified web delivery and discovery options that work across those platforms
- An administrative dashboard that can provide central control and reporting options
- Choices among a range of hosted, turnkey solutions
- Community-led, rather than commercial, modes of governance and sustainability for tools, platforms, and service providers
Library Publishing Infrastructure:
Assembling New Solutions
This report documents the design, methods, results, and recommendations of the Next Generation Library Publishing (NGLP) project team’s 2019-2021 study of library publishing infrastructure gaps and requirements.